Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Dance me to the end of love - Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Recipe (vegan)



What better way to express your love on Valentine’s Day—or on any day for that matter—than with a homemade batch of something delicious? Before my husband and I put the kids to bed and settle in to watch Dan in Real Life or Out of Africa tonight, we will exchange presents with the kids and share this lovely, vegan chocolate peanut butter fudge.

This simple vegan fudge is adapted from a recipe I found in PETA's Animal Times. I added peanut butter to the mix, because I love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. Rich decadent chocolate and naturally salty peanut butter make an unbeatable fudge combination.


This vegan fudge recipe is super quick and simple to make and you don’t need a candy thermometer. For another variation, you can omit the peanut butter and add walnuts.

 

If you are looking for something less sweet to share this evening, you can fancy up a simple coffee cake recipe by swirling some colourful strawberry jam into the batter.


That’s what I did a couple of days ago, when I made the “East Coast Coffee Cake” recipe from Vegan Brunch. I used light spelt flour instead of all-purpose, and it worked out beautifully. The jam offered a nice surprise change in texture.

Before I get to the easy chocolate peanut butter fudge recipe, I want to share this beautiful poem that I spotted in my grandmother’s favourite poetry book. It is well worth the read. Share it with your loved ones this Valentine's Day.
Love

I LOVE you,
Not only for what you are,
But for what I am
When I am with you.

I love you,
Not only for what
You have made of yourself,
But for what
You are making of me.

I love you
For the part of me
That you bring out;
I love you
For putting your hand
Into my heaped-up heart
And passing over
All the foolish, weak things
That you can’t help
Dimly seeing there,
And for drawing out
Into the light
All the beautiful belongings
That no one else had looked
Quite far enough to find.

I love you because you
Are helping to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple;
Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.

I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good,
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.

You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.
You have done it
By being yourself.
Perhaps that is what
Being a friend means,
After all.
—Roy Croft


Happy Valentine’s Day, friends!


Easy Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge


by Joann MacDonald
Keywords: no bake vegan vegetarian gluten-free fudge










Ingredients
  • 6 Tbsp margarine
  • 3 1/2 cups icing sugar (confectioner's sugar, powdered sugar)
  • 1/2 cup sifted cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup soy milk
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
Instructions
  • Line a loaf pan with parchment paper (or grease the pan with margarine).
  • Put the margarine, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and soy milk in a heat-proof mixing bowl or the upper part of a double boiler.
  • Place the bowl or boiler over simmering water and stir until smooth. Add a tiny bit more soy milk if needed.
  • Swirl in the peanut butter and remove from heat.
  • Pour the mixture quickly into the prepared pan.
  • If desired, melt a bit more peanut butter to swirl into the top of the fudge.
  • Chill thoroughly in the fridge and cut into slices or squares.

9 comments:

  1. Those brownies look like straight-up fudge, which is really the only way a brownie should be! The texture seems so perfect as just a plain chocolate brownie, that peanut butter swirl is just the icing on the cake, I guess both literally and figuratively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are heavy on the sugar...I have to eat them after a meal or I will start to shake ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I need to have this fudge!! I'd love for you to join my linky, Crazy Sweet Tuesday sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful treats ;)
    I'm more of the coffee cake girl now myself. Once upon a time I would have devoured the whole fudge cake - but I have regained control over my cravings ;D LOL
    although I see temptation is everywhere ;)
    *hugs*
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ella, I hope to control the cravings one day, but in the meantime I am a fudge and coffee cake girl!

      Delete
  4. WAIT HOW IS THIS VEGAN IF THERES MARGARINE AND SOY MILK IN IT?? MY GRANDARENTS ARE VEGANS AND THAT STUFF IS INCLUDED IN THE DO NOT EAT LIST LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can buy vegan margarine, like Earth Balance and other types. Soy milk is usually vegan. Maybe your grandparents are allergic to soy?

    ReplyDelete