Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Weekend: Port Dover


While we were visiting my parents at the cottage this weekend, we took a day trip to the town of Port Dover. We used to go there regularly when I was a kid, but I had forgotten how much fun it is. Located on the shores of Lake Erie, it's a beach town right here in Ontario (a province not generally known for its beaches).

Of course, the key attraction in Port Dover is the public beach, but there are also lots of fun shops (where you can shop in your bathing suit) and roadside french fry and ice cream stands. My dad doesn't get out much anymore, but the kids managed to persuade him to come along, especially since it was almost my birthday. Mom and Dad took us out to a restaurant to celebrate.

Because I am including an obnoxious amount of photos here, I'm not going to say a whole lot. I'll let Port Dover speak for itself.















Mom bought me a slice of raw vegan cheezecake for my birthday. By the time we got it home, it was raw vegan pudding!




Grampy has lots of stories to tell. His father was a fisherman in Nova Scotia. The mackerel sky in Port Dover that day reminded him of his dad.


The fishermen used to say that a mackerel sky meant rain within 24 hours. (And yes, it did rain some time during the night.)

If you are in the area, Port Dover is worth a visit. The water is shallow for quite a distance, making it great for little kids. And there are plenty of restaurants and shops for moms and dads too!

Have you visited any special towns this summer?

6 comments: